Friday, February 22, 2013

MUSIC PAINTING

Good morning.  For many years I was a music teacher at the school where I work.  I had started learning to play the guitar in high school inspired by a girl who I was dating.  In college ( LIU) my friend, Lou, gave me lessons in folk music and "blues." I taught him how to handle his Austin Healey car. He scared me when he drove!

From my earliest days of working with "special' children I realized that music was, for me, the most powerful way of connecting with them.  Through the years I often used songs and movement to impart basic concepts to those who could learn at that level,  and those who couldn't would enjoy the sounds and rhythms and maybe a hold a simple instrument like a maraca or bell.  Always the smiles would come to their faces.

Guitars often are the subjects of my paintings.  This painting was done many years ago as a mural for my classroom.  The photo wasn't too clear but I hope you enjoy looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment